There are many different species of mold. Although we could consider most of them highly beneficial, playing a key role in the cycling of organic matter, some species are able to produce toxic compounds that can negatively affect our health. One of those species is Stachybortys chartarum, commonly known as black mold or toxic mold. It is imperative that homeowners call a black mold removal expert to properly clean and remove all mold from your home in Toronto.
Mold illnesses cause symptoms that are very similar to seasonal allergies, so their presence in the home often flies under the radar. In order to protect our health and maintain the good air quality in the home, we need to know what is toxic mold, how does it affect us and how we can get rid of it.
What is Toxic Mold Syndrome?
Toxic mold or black mold is a microscopic fungus that grows on water-damaged, cellulose-rich building materials.
You can rarely find this mold in nature, as it doesn’t compete well with other species of fungi. It is far more common in manmade structures, especially homes and workplaces. Sheltered environments inside buildings provide favourable conditions for black mold growth – ample moisture, no sunlight, very few other species of mold, favourable temperatures and an abundant source of food.
Once black mold establishes, it can reproduce quite quickly and pollute the indoor air with its spores. Children, the elderly, and people with allergies and weakened immune systems are particularly sensitive to this type of mold, but long-term exposure can affect even healthy adults. If the home is infested, black mold removal is highly advised.
Symptoms of Toxic Mold Syndrome
Mold exposure affects different people in different ways. Symptoms usually manifest in sensitive people and include:
- Nasal congestion
- Irritated eyes
- Itchy eyes, nose and skin
- Skin rash
Some sources indicate that exposure to toxic mold can cause more serious symptoms – nosebleeds, headaches, mood swings, and memory loss. These claims are not backed by science, as experiments with healthy mice and rats didn’t show any significant negative effects of mold exposure. However, it was shown that long-term exposure to black mold in conjunction with other health problems can result in very serious lung infections and complications. Also, children that have been exposed to mold spores during their development are far more likely to develop allergies.
How to Get Rid of Black Mold?
Considering molds are microscopic creatures, they can be very stealthy. They become visible only once they’re already well-established. Visible grayish-black spots on walls are only the tip of the iceberg – the true “body” of the colony is within the building material. Removing the spots physically and chemically won’t address the main part of the problem, and the mold is highly likely to reappear. For this reason, successful black mold removal requires the tools and knowledge of an expert.
If you are looking for professional mold removal in Toronto, call your trusted neighbours – Inch by Inch Inspections. The qualified staff of Inch by Inch is ready to help you improve air quality in your home and live in a healthy, pollutant-free environment. Reach out to Inch by Inch today to schedule your black mold removal.