Molds can be found everywhere. No surprise, considering a single colony can produce millions of tiny, light spores, easily spread by wind and water. Wherever there are favourable conditions for their growth – the presence of organic matter, moisture, and temperature between 77°F and 86°F – molds will grow and reproduce very quickly. As these conditions are commonly found in indoor environments where we spend most of our day, mold exposure is not a rare occurrence. Making mold inspections and removals in Toronto extremely important. That’s because mold can easily fly under the radar, as the growth is often hidden, and the symptoms of exposure are very similar to the symptoms of the common cold.
Is It Mold or a Common Cold?
Mold exposure and common cold share quite a few symptoms – stuffy nose, coughing, sneezing, wheezing, headache, as well as itchy, irritated nose and eyes. However, there are some key differences:
- Symptoms last more than a week – a cold usually lasts for only a few days, while the effects of mold exposure tend to linger
- You feel better when you leave your home, and the symptoms become more intense once you return – as symptoms of cold will follow you around constantly until your body deals with the disease, this another tell-tale sign of mold exposure
- Skin rash and itchiness – common cold doesn’t cause these symptoms, so this can be another indicator of mold presence
- People who live with you experience the same symptoms – if the previously mentioned symptoms also apply to your family or roommates, then you probably have a mold problem on your hands
Many homes in Toronto experience mold problems, as the high levels of humidity during spring and winter perpetuate the growth of these fungi. If you doubt that your home is one of them, it is highly advised to get a mold inspection in Toronto.
How to Know Whether Your Home Is Having Mold Problems?
Aside from identifying the symptoms of mold exposure in the body, it is also important to look for its signs in the environment. Molds thrive in moisture, so the most common places they occupy are:
- Bathrooms – areas around the sink, bathtub, commodes and washing machine are especially prone to mold growth
- Basements – as basements are built below the ground level, moist soil rests on the outside walls, increasing humidity in the building material and creating favourable conditions for mold development; these microscopic fungi can also grow on stored items and completely contaminate the room
- Any room in the home with air humidity greater than 50%
Molds often appear after leaks and flooding, so if your home has experienced these problems, you should regularly inspect the water-damaged areas for their growth. If you find any visible colonies, it is best to get a mold removal.
Mold Inspection and Removal With Inch by Inch
Hire a trusted mold removal company in Toronto and reach out to Inch by Inch Inspections. Our certified, friendly staff are always ready to provide quality service all over Toronto and the GTA and make your home a healthier environment. Reach out to Inch by Inch today and schedule your professional mold removal.