Due to its favourable insulating and fire-retardant qualities, asbestos was widely used in construction, as well as for making products like fire proximity suits. When it was discovered that exposure to its microfibers causes very serious diseases, its use was widely banned. However, there are still many homes in Oakville that were constructed before the ban went into effect. If you live in such a home, you should look out for signs of its presence. Asbestos is a very harmful pollutant and its removal requires special safety equipment and experience, so if you find any of the following signs, it is highly advised to seek professional asbestos removal in Oakville.
What are the signs of asbestos in the home?
The first indicator of the possible presence of asbestos in the home is the age of the building. If your home was constructed before the 1990s, it is highly likely that it has some materials that contain it. However, this doesn’t mean that your home is definitely polluted. Asbestos fibres are a health threat only when they are airborne and inhaled, so what you need to look out for are damaged materials. If you find any, it's important to arrange for asbestos testing in Oakville right away.
Asbestos was widely used for making ceiling tiles, pipe insulation, roofing materials, vinyl flooring tiles and tape wraps for heating ducts. If you find traces of damage on these materials, it is quite possible that asbestos microfibers got released into the surrounding area. Whitish or grayish wool-like threads protruding from the damaged materials, or laying around them are an obvious indicator of asbestos contamination.
Considering the nature of asbestos, it is very important to wear adequate protective gear when inspecting it. This includes overalls that are impervious to asbestos microfibers, footwear that is easy to clean and most importantly, masks and respirators. The safer and less time-consuming alternative is to get help from a professional home remediation company in Oakville and arrange asbestos testing.
What are the signs of asbestos exposure?
The most common symptoms of asbestos exposure are:
- Shortness of breath
- A dry cough that won’t go away
- Fatigue and loss of energy
- Pain int the chest
- Lack of appetite, and consequently weight loss
- “Clubbed” fingers
The first symptoms often occur after long-term exposure. They usually take a few decades to manifest, and when they do, the damage is already done. Continuous inflammation of the lungs caused by inhalation of asbestos microfibers causes serious diseases like lung cancer. For this reason, it is best to arrange asbestos testing if there is even the slightest doubt of its presence in your living environment.
Asbestos Testing and Removal With Inch by Inch
Asbestos is a very hazardous material, so its removal requires appropriate gear and knowledge. The safest way to get rid of it is to reach out to a professional asbestos removal company in Oakville. The certified staff of Inch by Inch Inspections is equipped with tools, experience and knowledge to perform safe, efficient and permanent removal of asbestos-containing materials. Friendly inspectors of Inch by Inch are ready to provide quality service and help you make your home healthy and safe. Call Inch by Inch today to schedule your asbestos removal.