Mold infiltration, whether in a residential home or a commercial business, can be challenging. From discovery, to removal, to restoration, the entire process can be quite stressful. The fact is, mold can develop in a newly built home just as it does in an older home. Whatever the case, mold removal must be handled professionally, with quick turnaround, and remediation that is comprehensive. Any notion of a DIY approach should be avoided because of the inherent risks.
Professional Mold Removal Services
Professionals remove mold deposits and mold spores - they are trained and skilled in finding the source of an infiltration. The thing is, mold can be tricky, and it can easily find comfortable environments to thrive in. The ideal is dampness, moistness, and humidity (a perfect breeding ground). Once established, mold just needs to “feed”, and that could include drywall, wood, carpeting, and even wallpaper. Without proper removal, an infiltration will linger and spread.
Inch-by-Inch Inspections offers professional mold removal, with technicians who are trained and certified. From inspection, to removal, to remediation, the approach is comprehensive, getting to the root of the problem, and preventing additional damage from developing. Mold removal teams operate according to established industry standards, employing mold removal protocols that ensure safe and effective cleanup. With mold, a long-term remedy is required.
The professionals at Inch-by-Inch expedite mold removal in a thorough, methodical manner. It begins with an inspection of the property, with specific emphasis on areas of evidence where mold may be present. Depending on the circumstances, there may be testing required for air quality and humidity. Home or business, it’s important to quickly establish whether the mold infiltration is dangerous and/or hazardous. This will have direct impact on the mold removal.
In most cases, mold is unexpected. As stressful as it might be, it’s critical to identify the source and extent of the issue. Inch-by-Inch has the experienced crews and equipment to effectively assess a situation, remove the mold, and completely restore the space. Crews respond quickly, mold removal is exhaustive, and long-term results are ensured. More importantly, customers can rest assured that they are in good hands with the cleanup crew and management team.
What are the signs of mold in your home?
Mold is a naturally occurring organism that is classified as a fungus and can grow in many different locations inside your home. The fungus can take hold and thrive in damp and humid areas around your property. Some of the more common signs of the presence of mold in your home are:
A strong or musty odour in specific areas inside your home. Mold by nature releases spores and bacteria into the air stream which not only reduces air quality, but also adds its own unique odour to the the indoor air. A stale or odd musty odour is a definite sign of mold nearby.
Visual signs of mold such as black stains or smears along surfaces. Black mold is the most common type of mold in residential properties and can appear as smears or smudges along different surfaces throughout your home. Mold can also cause bubbling and discolouration in drywall and wood surfaces. The fungus can also appear as black dots or even textured and stringy especially along grout and bathroom tiles.
Water stains in ceilings means some kind of water leak near the roof or upper part of the home’s structure. Brownish and shadowy marks or spots is a strong indication of either a plumbing leak or a leak in the roof allowing water to build up. These types of water leaks create prime breeding grounds for mold and these areas should be inspected for mold once the leak is repaired.
Past flood damage in your home can elevate moisture and humidity levels even after the clean up. Any flooded areas must be inspected for mold once you restore the area to original condition.
Condensation buildup on your windows means there is excess humidity in your home creating ideal conditions for mold to develop. Water buildup on glass panes is absorbed into wooden window frames and seals which is a common place for mold to grow.
Health related conditions and symptoms due to moldy air effects you and those living in your home. The byproduct of mold is lower air quality as the fungus reproduces itself by releasing spores and bacteria into the air. Allergy symptoms, headaches and respiratory difficulties are common symptoms in moldy air environments.
Inspecting for possible mold conditions in your home should be part of your regular maintenance checklist to ensure a safe and healthy environment for you and those living under your roof.
Where does mold grow in your home?
Mold development is likely in areas of your home that are high in humidity and moisture. Basements are key areas with excess humidity and frequently have mold in areas that are the most inaccessible. Furnace rooms that have hot water tanks and heat boxes will most likely have mold if not inspected regularly. Attics are prone to higher temperatures and are also prone to excess humidity and mold development. Rooms such as bathrooms and laundry rooms generate large amounts of humidity and moisture and must have proper ventilation to prevent mold development.
What are the causes of mold growth?
Mold only requires a few things to development and the main component is moisture. Spaces or rooms in your home that are known to have excess moisture will most likely have moldy spots if left unchecked. Residential properties are known to be ideal breeding grounds for mold development. Some common sources are:
- Obstructed and efficient ventilation in bathrooms and laundry rooms which are key areas that create humidity.
- Leaks in roofs or plumbing that allows excess moisture to build up.
- Past flood damage can increase moisture levels as surfaces and materials become wet from the inside.
- Cracks in your home’s foundation which allows groundwater to seep in and build up in basement walls.
- Water condensation on walls and windows during winter months can add moisture to surfaces.
- Keeping humidity in your home above 55% creates the perfect environment for mold to take hold and spread.
What are the symptoms of mold exposure?
When mold fields are left unrepaired or undetected, they release spores and bacteria into your home’s indoor air which are then inhaled by those living in that space. Moldy air can cause many different health problems and children are more prone to suffering the ill effects. Usual symptoms and conditions of moldy air are:
- Mild but constant coughing and throat and nasal irritation
- Shortness of breath and difficulty taking deeper breaths
- Skin and eye irritations
- Hayfever and allergy type symptoms such as sneezing and watery eyes
- Constant tiredness because of interrupted sleep cycles
- Headaches and nausea can result from a lack of safe and clean indoor air caused by mold
- Viruses, common colds and injuries may take longer to heal when exposed to moldy air
Clean air is essential to healthy living in your home as well as proper respiratory development in children.
How dangerous is black mold?
Black mold is a common type of fungus that appears frequently in areas of your home that are subject to high humidity and excess moisture. This type of mold is similar to other strains in that it releases airborne mold spores and bacteria during its life cycle, polluting the localized air. Constant exposure to indoor air contaminated with black mold spores will affect the respiratory system of those living in that space. Children, especially, will feel the negative effects as their immunity systems are still developing. You can experience a wide range of symptoms as a result of black mold exposure, from moderate to more severe chronic conditions.
Breathing in moldy air in the short term may cause mild respiratory problems such as coughing and shortness of breath. Some have experienced throat and skin irritations when in the presence of black mold. These conditions could develop into the inability to take deep breaths and lethargy due to interrupted and inconsistent sleep patterns. Longer term exposure can cause more severe respiratory problems including internal bleeding within the lungs. If you or anyone in your home is experiencing any symptoms or lifestyle changes, an air quality inspection should be your next step to identifying the problem.
Inch by Inch Inspectors are On Call 24/7 for your Mold Removal Needs
Once a mold infestation has been well assessed, Inch-by-Inch will recommend a viable course of action. High-tech equipment provides accurate inspection data. Service reports are detailed. And much of the work goes beyond established industry standards. As a company, Inch-by-Inch is on call seven days a week, and readily available for follow-up consultation. Offering Neutral Reporting, customers can make conclusions and decisions without undue pressures.
When it comes to mold removal, this is work that has to be done right from the beginning. It’s not the right time for retail over-the-counter solutions, as mold can sometimes pose serious health risks. It’s also not the right time for a “surface” solution. Simply put, this is work for professionals who know what to do. For more information, contact Inch-by-Inch Inspections directly at 416-826-7172 or visit the website at www.inchbyinchinspections.com for your next mold removal needs in the Greater Toronto Area.